Here are 2 great recipes for zucchini bread. I like the first one, from America’s Test Kitchen, when I have a lot of zucchini to use up. The recipe below, from NY Times Cooking, uses much less.
- 1 ½ pounds zucchini, unpeeled and grated (about 3 medium zucchini)
- 1 1/4 cups packed (8 3/4 oz.) brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Shred zucchini with either the large holes of a box grated or use your food processor shredding attachment.
- Place shredded zucchini in center of dish towel. Gather ends together and twist tightly to drain as much liquid as possible, discarding liquid (you should have 1/2 to 2/3 cup liquid).
- Whisk brown sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla together in medium bowl. Fold in zucchini.
- Whisk all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and nutmeg together in large bowl.
- Fold in the zucchini mixture until just incorporated. Fold in walnuts, if using.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and sprinkle with granulated sugar (if using).
- Bake until top bounces back when gently pressed and toothpick inserted in center comes out with few moist crumbs attached – 65-75 minutes.
- Let bread cool in pan on wire rack for 30 minutes.
- Remove bread from pan and let cool completely on wire rack.
Olive Oil Zucchini Bread
Adapted from NY Times Cooking
- 1 ½ cups/185 grams grated zucchini
- ⅔ cup/140 grams light brown sugar (I use 1/3 cup brown sugar and 1/3 cup *date paste)
- ⅓ cup/80 milliliters olive oil (or other oil such as safflower or canola)
- ⅓ cup/80 milliliters plain Greek yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon/5 milliliters vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups/190 grams all-purpose flour (I use 3/4 cups all purpose and 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry)
- ½ teaspoon/3 grams salt
- ½ teaspoon/3 grams baking soda
- ½ teaspoon/2 grams baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons/4 grams ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon/1 gram ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon/2 grams finely grated lemon zest
- ½ cup/55 grams chopped walnuts (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Butter an 8-inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, use a rubber spatula to mix together the grated zucchini, sugar, olive oil, yogurt, eggs and vanilla extract.
- Whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, lemon zest and spices in a separate bowl.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Fold in the walnuts if using.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 40 to 55 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through baking.
- The bread will be done when a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove the bread from the pan and cool on a rack completely before cutting and serving.