Adapted from happyacres.com
- 8 oz ripe sourdough starter
- 8 oz whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 oz warm water
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with dough hook, combine all ingredients.
- Mix on low speed for 5 minutes. Add more water or flour if needed.
- Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and turn until dough is covered with oil.
- Cover bowl and let rise for 1-1/2 to 3 hours, until doubled in size.
- Punch dough down and divide into 6-8 balls. Cover loosely and let rest for 20 minutes.
- While dough is resting, place a sheet pan or cast iron skillet in the oven and preheat to 475-F (if using a pizza stone, turn the oven on at least 30 before baking). Pitas can also be cooked on the stovetop in hot cast iron skillet.
- Dust a work surface e with flour and place one of the dough balls. Sprinkle the top lightly with flour. Use hands or rolling pin to flatten out to 1/8″ or 1/4″ thick. If dough is hard to stretch, cover and let rest another 5-10 minutes. Prepare as much dough as will fit on pizza stone at a time.
- Open oven and place as many pitas as you can fit on the stone. Let bake for 2-3 minutes until puffed up and as brown as desired.
- While one batch of pitas are baking, form next batch of dough.
- Remove pitas from oven and allow to cool.
Servings: 8 small (or 6 large). Nutrition info is for 8 pitas.
Nutrition (per serving): 159 calories, 22 calories from fat, 2.5g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 293.1mg sodium, 172.4mg potassium, 30.9g carbohydrates, 5.2g fiber, <1g sugar, 5.8g protein, 14.9mg calcium, <1g saturated fat.