Inspired by Alex Williams and Marcella Hazan’s Pasta Bolognese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup celery, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup carrot, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Freshly cracked pepper
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- Pinch of freshly grated whole nutmeg
- 1 (28 oz) can whole peeled tomatoes, blended into a puree
- 1/2 cup milk
- Finely chop the vegetables or pulse together in a food processor.
- In a large pot over medium heat, place the oil, butter, and tomato paste. Cook until tomato paste lightens in color.
- Add the chopped vegetables, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables have released all their liquid and begin to stick to the bottom of the pot, about 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic, and anchovy paste. Cook until fragrant.
- Add the ground beef or turkey, and cook until no longer pink.
- Add the tomatoes, nutmeg, and milk. Cook until the sauce begins to simmer.
- Cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes for turnkey and for up to an hour for beef.