- 2 cups dried beans
- 1 pound meat (chuck roast, lamb shoulder chop or lamb shank)
- 1/2 medium onion, minced (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 (8 oz) can Hunts tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Soak the beans overnight or using the quick soak method.
- For the Meat: If using a lamb chop, cut the meat off the bone and into small chunks, discarding the fat. If using a lamb shank, cut the bone in half so it cooks faster. If using beef, cut it into small chunks.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot. Add the meat, lamb bones and spices and sauté until browned, approximately 10 minutes. It might take a while for all the moisture to evaporate and browning to occur.
- Once the meat is browned, add the onion and cook for a few minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add the beans, and enough water to reach about an inch over the beans. Cook until the meat is very tender and the beans are cooked through, approximately 1 1/2 hours.
- Once the beans are tender, add the tomato sauce and the tomato paste. Taste and adjust for salt.
Serve over Rice Pilaf.